Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> [090602 07:08]:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting "Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com>:
>>> I don't care half as much about the keyword expansion stuff - that's
>>>  doomed to disappear anyway.
>>
>> But this is one aspect we need to get right for the conversion.
>
> What's your definition of "right"? I personally prefer the keyword
> expansion to match a cvs checkout as closely as possible.

> AFAIU Aidan proposed the exact opposite.
>
> I'm proposing to leave both expanded, as in a CVS checkout and as
> shipped in the source release tarballs.

Well, since I have -kk set in my .cvsrc, "mine" matches exactly the CVS
checkout l-)

Basically, I want the git to be identical to the cvs checkout.  If you
use -kk, that means the "PostgreSQL CVS repository keywords" *aren't*
expanded.  If you like -kv, that means they are.

Pick your poison (after all, it's CVS), either way, I think the 2 of
*us* are going to disagree which is best here ;-)

But, which ever way (exact to -kk or exact to -kv), the conversion
should be exact, and there should be no reason to "filter out
keyword-like stuff" in the diffs.

> What you call "leave(ing) some steps to last moment" is IMO not part of
> the conversion. It's rather a conscious decision to drop these keywords
> as soon as we switch to git. This step should be represented in history
> as a separate commit, IMO.
>
> What do others think?

I'm assuming they will get removed from the source eventually too - but
that step is *outside* the conversion.  Somebody could do it now in CVS
before the conversion, or afterwards, but it's still outside the
conversion.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,