Re: pg_dump/pg_restore schema and data separately and foreign key constraints

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: pg_dump/pg_restore schema and data separately and foreign key constraints
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 12 May 2009 2:35:10 pm Vasiliy Vasin wrote:
> In the end, decided to make easier: make a complete dump except tables that
> I don't want to backup, then just dump schema of these tables. So I have 2
> files: schema+data for all except table1 and table2, schema only for table1
> and table2. It's a strangely that pg_restore is still no option to check
> the constraints after you insert all data. Something like
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-set-constraints.html

It is more of a conceptual problem. Unless you really do a complete dump (which
you actually did not do above) then the schema and data become decoupled. A
less than complete restore could be any combination of data and schema from
various points in time. A partial pg_restore has no way of "knowing" what is
correct, therefore it is left for the user to decide correctness.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net