Re: migrating from MSSQL

От David Fetter
Тема Re: migrating from MSSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 12:21:51AM -0700, Eugene . wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been tasked with evaluating the feasibility of migrating our
> in-house application from MSSQL to PostgreSQL.  It is fairly old and
> has lots of stored procedures, which is why we need to think
> carefully before making the switch.  Does anyone else have a similar
> experience?

Yes.

> What are some of the things to watch out for?

Porting the T-SQL code is one part.  Differing transaction semantics
is another.

> Secondly, which commercial support vendor would you recommend?  I
> found EnterpriseDB and CommandPrompt, but I don't know anything
> about them.  Any other candidates?

Among many others, there's also OmniTI <http://www.omniti.com/> and my
company, PostgreSQL Experts <http://www.pgexperts.com/>.

One of the advantages of a free software project like PostgreSQL is
that you can choose the support option that best fits your needs
rather than being tied to one company whose support options may not.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!