Re: How to run PostgreSQL?

От Ray Stell
Тема Re: How to run PostgreSQL?
Дата
Re: How to run PostgreSQL?  (Jakov Sosic <jakov.sosic@srce.hr>)
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 09:58:04AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Because "users" shouldn't compile. The commands aren't relevant. If
> possible you should *always* run from your package manager.

don't you need root to do package management?  Maybe that is just
Red Hat like.  Hmm, not on OS X.

>  * Why
>  * Why should I have to configure a custom init.d script so my
> PostgreSQL will start?

to gain control over the system issue.  From my perspective pg has always
been at the enterprise layer, so sysadmin/dba are on the hook.  Those guys
don't like to hand over control to anyone, and therefore the commands
are relevant.  Isn't that  why they are in the manual.

I see where you are coming from, standardization in order to lower
maintenance costs.  Maybe the install guide needs a branch per your
approach?  The fact that this thread exists might be a testimony to
that.

Сообщение: Re: How to check whether PostgreSQL server is up and running?
Сообщение: Re: How to check whether PostgreSQL server is up and running?