Re: "No transaction in progress" warning

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: "No transaction in progress" warning
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 07 May 2009 7:42:40 am Conrad Lender wrote:
> On 07/05/09 15:58, Tom Lane wrote:
> > What seems most likely is that you're looking at the wrong log file.
> > Recheck the "where to log" settings.
>
> Thanks, Adrian and Tom,
>
> you were right, I wasn't looking at the correct file.
> My postgresql.conf has:
>
> log_directory = '/var/log/postgresql'
> log_filename = 'postgresql-8.3-main.log'
>
> The server startup messages were in this file (which is why I assumed it
> was the correct one), but for some reason after a restart the logs were
> created as
>
> /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-8.3-main.log.1241706461
>
> I've moved away all the old files, but every time I restart (using the
> /etc/init.d/postgres script), new log files with a timestamp are
> created. AFAICS, there are no open filehandles or locks left pointing to
> '/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-8.3-main.log'.

From the manual
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-logging.html
Emphasis added.

log_filename (string)

    When logging_collector is enabled, this parameter sets the file names of the
created log files. The value is treated as a strftime pattern, so %-escapes can
be used to specify time-varying file names. (Note that if there are any
time-zone-dependent %-escapes, the computation is done in the zone specified by
log_timezone.) <<If no %-escapes are present, PostgreSQL will append the epoch
of the new log file's creation time. For example, if log_filename were
server_log, then the chosen file name would be server_log.1093827753 for a log
starting at Sun Aug 29 19:02:33 2004 MST.>> This parameter can only be set in
the postgresql.conf file or on the server command line.

    If CSV-format output is enabled in log_destination, .csv will be appended to
the timestamped log file name to create the file name for CSV-format output.
(If log_filename ends in .log, the suffix is replaced instead.) In the case of
the example above, the CSV file name will be server_log.1093827753.csv.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net