Re: Closing some 8.4 open items

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Closing some 8.4 open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 01:39:47PM +0100, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2009, at 13:33, Hitoshi Harada wrote:
>
>>> Maybe trigger functions should be displayed separately too than ?
>>
>> You don't catch the point. The aggregate entries in pg_proc have
>> prosrc = 'aggregate_dummy', which means they're dummy and the
>> entities are stored in pg_aggregate. Triggers in pg_proc are dummy?
>> No, they are actually plain functions with trigger return type.
>
> yes, that's from strictly insider's point of view. Based on the
> implementation of that in postgresql, but you guys talk about user
> perspective, after all - psql is for users, not only for postgresql
> hackers.

That was my thought on this, too.

> So the better question would be, can you use window, aggregate, trigger
> functions the same way other procedures ? I guess the answer is no :)

For the first two, it's no.  For the third, it's what people are used
to, including people who are extending a helping hand via our many
help channels.

> Hence, if classify - than I would suggest to do it completely and
> fair, and not judge it only from postgresql-hacker perspective.
>
> I am hardly the postgresql-hacker myself, so it is my opinion from
> user perspective, that also understands where your opinion comes
> from.

The amount of code I've gotten into the back end is absolutely
minuscule.  It's psql where I can currently help people see a new
feature.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: Closing some 8.4 open items
Сообщение: Re: Closing some 8.4 open items