Re: Will PostgreSQL 8.4 allow having different encoding databases on a same PostgreSQL server ?

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Will PostgreSQL 8.4 allow having different encoding databases on a same PostgreSQL server ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Le jeudi 09 avril 2009 à 14:03:28, Bruno Baguette a écrit :
> [...]
> Currently, I have several PostgreSQL databases, some of them are using
> LATIN1 encoding, some of them are using UTF-8 encoding.
>
> In order to have theses two encoding, we had to install two PostgreSQL
> server on two different ports. One is for LATIN1 databases and one is
> for UTF-8 databases. (I known there is a workaround which allows to mix
> several databases encoding them on a same PostgreSQL server, by
> specifying "C" locale to initdb).

You can do better already on 8.3. You create all your databases with UTF-8 and
add client_encoding with LATIN1 for the ones that need this. A simple:

ALTER DATABASE dbX SET client_encoding TO latin1;

should work.

> I've heard some rumors on freenode stating that PostgreSQL 8.4. will
> allow to have several databases encoding. Did I understand right ?

You'll have the possibility to specify lc_ctype and lc_collate. See
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-createdatabase.html for
more informations.

Regards.

--