Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump

От daveg
Тема Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump
Дата
Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 10:23:17PM -0500, Andrew Chernow wrote:
> Dann Corbit wrote:
> >
> >The LZMA SDK is granted to the public domain:
> >http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html
> >

> I played with this but found the SDK extremely confusing and flat out
> horrible. One personal dislike was the unnecessary use of C++; although it
>  was the horrible API that turned me off.  I'm not even sure if I ever got a
> test program working.
>
> LZO (http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/) is a great algorithm, easy
> API with many variants; my fav is LZO1X-1(15).  Its known for its
> compresison and decompresison speeds ... its blazing fast.  zlib typically
> gets 5-8% more compression.

LZO rocks. I wonder if the lzo developer would consider a license exception
so that postgresql could use it?  What would we need?

-dg

--
David Gould       daveg@sonic.net      510 536 1443    510 282 0869