Re: postgresql and xfs filesystrem

От Michael Monnerie
Тема Re: postgresql and xfs filesystrem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sonntag 25 Januar 2009 Christopher Browne wrote:
> I did some benchmarking, now quite a while ago, which showed XFS to
> be, for a totally write-bound workload, a *few* percent better than
> ext3/JFS, but note that this is only a minor difference.

Remember that the structure of XFS consists of independent allocation
groups. If your database is big enough to cross several AGs, it might
increase performance by using several CPUs parallel, as an AG is
independent of the others.

> The fact that XFS isn't one of the "more highly supported"
> filesystems on Linux is something I'd consider a *way* more important
> factor.

It looks like a very active project, see:
http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_Status_Updates
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/training/index.html

I read a lot about XFS during the last weeks, and tested it. So far, it
was good, and we use it on a test server now with good performance and
reliability (several power outages and kernel crashes happened, no data
loss or anything).

But anyway, I guess the most performance can be gained by optimizing
your postgresql.conf, and increasing memory and using a better RAID with
faster and more 15k SAS disks. The filesystem is not that important for
postgres.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: postgresql and xfs filesystrem
Сообщение: Re: postgresql and xfs filesystrem