Re: Recovery Test Framework

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Recovery Test Framework
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:33:43AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > Two things to fix this, and several other problems:
>
> > 1.  Remove the messages size limits on -hackers.  They serve no
> > useful purpose, and they interfere with our development process.
>
> Agreed, or at least boost it up a good bit more.
>
> > If -hackers isn't already subscriber-only, now would be the time
> > to make it so.
>
> Not sure how that's relevant?

Spam and wackiness.  Consider what Dmitry Turin would do with an
unlimited ability to send his "specs" to -hackers.

> > 2.  Start using more git, as many hackers and committers have
> > already started to do.  This is the kind of situation where CVS
> > just plain falls down because branching and merging are
> > unmanageably difficult in it, where in git, they're
> > many-times-a-day operations.
>
> This is a red herring, unless your proposal also includes making the
> master CVS^H^H^Hgit repository world-writable.  The complaint I have
> about people posting URLs is that there's no stable archive of what
> the patches really were, and just because it came out of someone's
> local git repository doesn't help that.

The master repository need not be world-writeable, but as many public
ones as needed for development should be.  I'd love for people to use
our infrastructure, but github, etc., would also work.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!