Re: WAL file compatibility

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: WAL file compatibility
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> The source and destination servers have to be the same major PG release,
>> same architecture (no 32-bit vs 64-bit for instance), and built with the
>> same configure options.  OS per se shouldn't matter, but you could
>> easily get burnt on configure options if you use binaries obtained from
>> different packagers.  Compare pg_config output or check the fields
>> listed by pg_controldata.

> Out of curiosity, will Pg automatically detect incompatible WAL files
> and refuse to operate on them throwing the appropriate error or can it
> appear to work for a while until it suddenly doesn't?

There are checks on the contents of pg_control, not directly on WAL
files, but the system identifier checks should link the two together.

I suspect the largest practical risk is that different OSes might assign
different behaviors to the same locale name.  There's really no good way
for Postgres to detect that :-(