Re: NUMA architecture and PostgreSQL

От Tino Schwarze
Тема Re: NUMA architecture and PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 06:13:41PM -0700, Fabricio wrote:

> I have an IBM server with NUMA architecture, two nodes with 4 CPU quad
> core and 64 GB of RAM each, and PostgrSQL 8.3.5. Is there any way to
> avoid the performance degradation when the load goes up and used the
> two nodes? I understand this performance degradation is due to the
> higher latency than a cpu access a remote memory that the  local
> memory. But there are ways to improve this?
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-04/msg01187.php
>
> Any suggestions?     Greetings...             Thanks...

I suppose this has nothing to do with PostgreSQL but needs some
operating system level tuning. Maybe there is a way to bind the postgres
processes to one node's CPUs... What operating system are you using?
I know that there are ways to bind processes to a CPU on Linux, I'm not
sure how to assign multiple processes to multiple CPUs. The Linux
scheduler should know about NUMA architectures though, there not that
new any more.

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de