Re: Ideal way to upgrade to postgres 8.3 with less downtime

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: Ideal way to upgrade to postgres 8.3 with less downtime
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Στις Friday 07 November 2008 08:04:05 ο/η Swathi S έγραψε:
> Hi,
>
> I have a database of size approx 400G. It's a 24/7 database. Only few tables
> have regular reads and writes. The other tables just store information.
>
> I would like to upgrade to 8.3 and would like to know the best way to
> upgrade with less downtime.
>
> Thanks
> Swathi

And now you are running with which version?
The ideal way is to read the HISTORY file, do several upgrade excercises on a test system with the
same database (e.g. with a recent backup of the original), and then plan/organize your actions.
But i must say that the older version of postgresql you run, the fancier things your apps do, and the more lines of
codethey have,
the harder it will be to upgrade.
Usually SPI and JDBC require large amounts of work as well.
Well i dont mean to be pessimistic, but our 7.4 -> 8.3 upgrade was pretty painful.

--
Achilleas Mantzios