Re: \ef should probably append semicolons

От David Fetter
Тема Re: \ef should probably append semicolons
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 09:10:50PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua Tolley" <eggyknap@gmail.com> writes:
> > The new \ef psql command creates nicely usable "CREATE OR REPLACE
> > FUNCTION ..." text based on the function I tell it to edit, but the
> > text it creates *doesn't* include a final semicolon, so when I exit my
> > editor-of-choice after messing with my function, it doesn't run the
> > code I've given it until I type one of my own. This is annoying.
>
> This is intentional.
>
> If the semicolon is there, the command will be squirted to the backend
> instantaneously upon your exiting the $EDITOR.  The potential bad
> consequences of that seem to me to outweigh the annoyance factor of
> typing ; and return.

To mitigate this annoyance, we could have \ef prepend a
multi-line-style comment (proof against editor wrapping) that reads
something like:

/*
To make these changes take effect immediately, put a semicolon after
the $FUNCTION$ tag
*/

Speaking of the $FUNCTION$ tag, it appears to be being put in there
unconditionally, which will eventually break somebody's code.  How
does pg_dump handle the dollar quoting situation, and could this
machinery be used here?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!