Re: Commit fest queue

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Commit fest queue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> [080410 11:35]:
> I now need to open my mail client (fair enough, with me it is alt-tab),
> go to my projects-postgresql folder, put a search string in the search
> field, find the correct email, reply to the email with my comments, and
> possibly an updated patch or a patch to the patch.
>
> Or :)
>
> I can open a web browser, go to tracker.postgresql.org,
> review the list of open patches, click one, download, review, comment,
> upload new patch if required, done.
>
> Which would you honestly rather do? Especially if there was a email
> interface as well?

Anything can be framed favourably, or not:

But wait,

I now need to open my web browser (fair enough, with me it is alt-tab),
google for the "postgresql tracker" and find the correct site, look at
some list of patches, click one, download, choose where to save it, and
review it, then try and find my way back to the proper page, try to type
a sane review into some textbox with limited editing capabilities,
possibly find the "upload new patch" button, click it, check some box to
say if it's a new patch, or a patch to the patch, try and find the patch
on my system, add it, and upload it.

Or ;-)

I can grab the messageid (or mhonorc url, I've got tools to get the
message id out if it), directly open the message in my reader of choice,
and have the patch, all the discussion threaded nicely, so I can get a
quick overview of some of the other things that might be happening with
it), and simply reply to it with my review.

Which would you honestly rather do?

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,