Re: Commit fest queue

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Commit fest queue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:41:51 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > And in looking at this further, if I look at the Column Level
> > privelages patch on the wiki, the archive page goes to a -hackers
> > email.
> >
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00049.php
> >
> >  * Do I now respond to the hackers list?
>
> Note that we expect that
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00049.php
> and
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/47F2B9D8.90702@dunslane.net
> are the same thing: a message on pgsql-hackers containing a patch and
> links to the subsequent discussion.  You should be smart enough to
> figure out how to followup to that message.

Maybe but that isn't the point I am trying to make :). I shouldn't have
to be. The most successful interfaces are those that are so dumb that
my mother can use them. It should *always* be obvious exactly what I
need to do. I should never have to guess (in terms of the interface it
self).

Consider graphical email clients.

I want to send a message: Compose or New
I want to reply to a message: Reply
I want to read a message: Click

Consider IM:

I want to talk to mom: click, type
Mom wants to get my attention: screen popup or glowing icon

This is why email is so darn powerful. It isn't ubiquitous because of
its age, its ubiquitous because it is dumb simple to use.

Email can be just as complicated "if" I chose. Just add PGP to the mix,
auto filters, aliases, tags, labels (not sure the difference but I have
both), multiple identities etc.. But those are all "features" and are
not required for email itself to
work.

The base requirements for this process must be so simple, so easy, that
even if the person has never seen a C patch in his/her life they
understand what is trying to be achieved.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake