Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable probes to work with Mac OS X Leopard and other OSes that

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable probes to work with Mac OS X Leopard and other OSes that
Дата
Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable probes to work with Mac OS X Leopard and other OSes that  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> At some point, do we recognize that Perl is installed on every
> reasonable platform in existence or can be easily? I mean, we already
> require autoconf/make etc... What is adding Perl in practice?

For one thing, a moving target.  If we rely on "standard" Unix tools, we have
something fairly stable, if you are careful to read the documentation to omit
the occasional GNU extension.  But with Perl, you'd have a constant worry,
which Perl versions to support and which features that Perl version provides.