Re: TODO-list on wiki (was: TODO update about SQLSTATE to PGconn)

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: TODO-list on wiki (was: TODO update about SQLSTATE to PGconn)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:03:13AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > If you change the text file, I will see the CVS update and update the
> > > HTML --- I will never lose a change because my CVS sees your changes.
> >
> > That seems like a lot of extra work that should be unnecessary.
> >
> > I asked before for general reactions, so I will now turn that into a formal proposal:
> >
> > Let's move the TODO list to the wiki. Bruce still retains "ownership" of it
> > and will certainly be doing most of the editing. But people who work on
> > individual items can add/remove items and details as needed directly on the
> > wiki as necessary.
> >
> > Those who still need daily updates can easily grab an RSS feed off the
> > wiki, or use the watch feature (disclaimer: I haven't used the watch
> > feature myself, but I'm told it should work).
> >
> > Can we get a soundoff on this? Good idea, bad idea?
> >

> > (if we decide to do it, we'll have to migrate what's there now, of course.
> > But I'm sure we can find volounteer(s) to help with that so Bruce doesn't
> > have to do all the work.)
>
> We need it to do a few things:
>
>     o  We need to be able to pull a text and HTML copies for tarballs

That should be doable without too much work. I would, however, like to open
a second discussion on wether we actually *need* it. But that's a different
discussion than this - if we do need it, we can make that happen.

>     o  Edits have to be quick and easy

That's the whole idea of a wiki. I don't personally love the markup
language, but for the simple kind of stuff that the TODO list deals with
(markup-wise), it's very easy to use.

>     o  I have to be able to make new sections, and move existing
>        items around and between sections

Trivial - again, what a wiki does best. Look at for example
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling
for a page taht has a bunch of different sections. It uses tables in some
and lists in some etc, but it shold give you an idea of how simple it is to
craete sections.

>     o  I need to be able to add URLs for items

You maen links to external sites? Also trivial. Again, what a wiki is
designed for more or less.

>     o  I need subsections and sub-subsections

Should be doable either as wiki sections or as bullet-lists.

//Magnus