Re: PostgreSQL website translations

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL website translations  ("Adrian Maier" <adrian.maier@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-www
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:39:19AM +0200, Adrian Maier wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> > Adrian Maier a écrit :
> >  > [...]
> >
> > > So:  should I spend time with bringing my Romanian translation
> > > of the website up-to-date ?    or there is too little interest  ?
> >
> >  Despite the lack of answer, I think there is interest in translating the
> >  website. But there's a few things to do before adding the translation. I
> >  need to remember what Magnus told me about this last november :) ( ...
> >  if I remember well, I had to find some way to figure out if pages are
> >  out of date and if possible show the english page if the translated page
> >  is out of date ... something like this but Magnus will correct me if I'm
> >  wrong). Oh, and the pictures need to be "translatable" too.
>
> Sure: currently it's extremely painful to keep track of the
> modifications.  And the last time this was discussed i've
> understood that  for the time being the translators can
> only rely on cvs and the pgwww-commits mailing list
> because there were no resources for creating something
> more elaborate ( especially because there were no
> translations available ).

We now have svn, if that makes a difference :-)

> Another thing that will need serious thinking is, IMHO, the
> mechanism used for selecting the language.  I personally
> hate when a website decides the language based on
> something unintuitive and transparent like the default
> language in the browser or the IP location.    I mean:  it's
> much better to have a set of small flags or a combobox
> so that the user can easily select the desired language
> instead of digging into web browser 's configuration.

I think it's reasonable to have it *default* to the language from your
browser. Doint it based on IP like google does just completely *sucks*, but
the browser langauge makes sense. However, on top of that there should be a
way to switch your language on the site as well, to override what you have
as the default in the browser.

//Magnus

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations