Re: Contributor listing policy

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Contributor listing policy
Дата
Re: Contributor listing policy
Список pgsql-www

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:11:57 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Actually, looking at the archives, there wasn't much discussion when
> you submitted the patch; I doubt that most people realized the
> changes it made. I know that I wasn't clear on it, noticing only the
> change in sort order, and certainly the rest of the core team (or
> hackers) didn't discuss it.

Perhaps you should read again there are actually two threads and there
was a very long discussion. That every single core member spoke up at
least once except for Jan. The following is the thread on my patch
which changed the wording from Developers to Contributors and moved its
home under /community/.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2007-12/msg00022.php

And then a conversation you initiated on actually updating the list
last November.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2007-11/msg00432.php

> Contributor listings are not a matter of *only* WWW team's
> discretion.  In fact, traditionally, contents of the developer
> listings have been determined by the core team;

As I understand it, traditionally Robert handled that with Core
oversight.

> if we're going to
> change that and give sole authority to WWW maintainers, then I think
> we ought to have an *explicit* discussion about that.

I am not sure where you got this. I never suggested in anyway it was
the sole responsibility or discretion of the WWW team.

> > The idea that a line of code is more important than the
> > organization of an army (users) is incorrect. Without one the other
> > is pointless.
>
> I'm hardly one to argue that non-code contributors aren't important.
> However, I also don't see a reason to dramatically change the
> listings all at once; why not do it in stages, with non-code
> contributors listed in the "contributors" section this year, and
> under "major" maybe next year?  Given that non-code contributors
> currently aren't listed *at all* despite the change in headings, I
> still see it moving in the right direction.

The reason non code contributors aren't listed is the list has been
basically unmaintained for over a year. There are also code
contributors that aren't listed, Stefan being one of the most glaring
examples.

Secondly, using your reasoning it's o.k. to overlook the  contributions
made by non code contributors, "because it's easier". It would be
easier just to remove the whole list. If you are going to start making
judgments on the value of someones contributions, you must do it in
full. You can not, in good conscious be arbitrary or selective.

> The core team felt this was a reasonable compromise; Magnus felt it
> was a reasonable compromise.  So far, you're the only one to think
> it's not a reasonable way to go, so I'd like to hear from some other
> people as well as you.

Well I would like hear it from more than just you. Magnus hasn't said a
word publicly, neither has Dave, Jan, Marc, Tom, Bruce, Peter or the
several dozen of other major contributors that are or are not listed.
Currently you and I are the only one's speaking about this. Secondly
- -www is hardly the forum for this as this is not about "the website"
but about attribution to the contributors to the community which should
take place in a more populous forum such as -general.

Robert (who I believe is actually person in charge of this list) has
stated:

A major contributor is differentiated from other contributors based on
1) longevity in the community, 2) number of areas they work on, 3)
signifigance of the contributions that have been made.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2007-11/msg00488.php

Based on the above policy, code has nothing to do with it, the size of
contribution does. The fact that non core contributors haven't been
listed appears to be an oversight more than anything. One that is long
overdue to be fixed.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate     PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of
Dolphins

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Contributor listing policy
Сообщение: Re: Contributor listing policy