creating column content from entry values

От David Bear
Тема creating column content from entry values
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I am too new to this environment to know what to call what I want to do.

Breifly, I want to do an insert where the values for three of the attributes
are combined via a function and make up the value for the fourth attribute.
The function may be a simple as a concatenation, or I may want to do other
things to manipulate the strings that are entered. I think what I want is a
function that I can call when I do the insert like this

insert into mytable (col1, col2, col3) values ('somestring', 'another
string' )

but have the insert fix col3 to be whatever it the function computes it to be.

does this make any sense?

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs/ASU