Re: Mailing archive URL stability

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Mailing archive URL stability
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Still, it would be pretty useful to have a facility for searching
> > messages by Message-Id (which are unique and immutable).  If the "patch
> > queue" consisted solely of Message-Ids, it would be pretty easy and
> > quick to locate the exact message in the archives.
>
> If the patch queue was only message-ids it would be pretty hard to
> understand without clicking on every message.

Huh, it is relatively hard to understand right now without clicking on
every message.  I wasn't suggesting that the "Subject" line be lost --
only that on clicking on a subject, you should be taken to the perennial
archive, based on Message-Id retrieval, instead of the current status
which is to take you to a volatile URL like "msg00023.html" which
changes every time you delete an email.

> Perhaps someone can add a message-id search link to every email using
> mhonarc.

That seems rather pointless, unless I misunderstand what you are
suggesting.  The point is that if I want to talk about an item on the
queue, it does no good to take the URL and paste it here, because by the
time someone comes and reads my message, the URL will have changed to
point to a different message (or nowhere at all); whereas if we had a
Message-ID URL for each message, we could just paste that and it would
always work.

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Mailing archive URL stability
Сообщение: Re: Mailing archive URL stability