Re: postgresql in FreeBSD jails: proposal

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: postgresql in FreeBSD jails: proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Mischa Sandberg (mischa_sandberg@telus.net) wrote:
> Here (@sophos.com) we run machine cluster tests using FreeBSD jails. A
> jail is halfway between a chroot and a VM. Jails blow a number of
> assumptions about a unix environment: sysv ipc's are global to all
> jails; but a process can only "see" other processes also running in the
> jail. In fact, the quickest way to tell whether you're running in a jail
> is to test for process 1.

I've got a couple of concerns about this-

#1: Having the shared memory be global is a rather large problem when it   comes to something like PG which can have a
fairbit of data goingthrough that area that could be sensitive.

#2: Isn't there already a uid check that's done?  Wouldn't this makemore sense anyway (and hopefully minimize the
impactof a bad persongetting control of the PG database/user in a given jail)?

#3: At least in the linux-equivilant to jails (linux-vservers, imvanyway), they started w/o an init process and
eventuallydecided itmade sense to have one, so I'm not sure that this test will alwayswork and the result might catch
someoneby suprise at some laterdate.  Is there a better/more explicit test?

Thanks,
    Stephen