Re: Some ideas about Vacuum

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Some ideas about Vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
<Pine.GSO.4.64.0801161233260.20980@westnet.com>, Greg Smith
<gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind that there are claims that a write-cache-enabled
>> battery-backed RAID controller negates the effect of a separate spindle.
>
> "Negates" is a bit strong; there's still some performance advantage on
> systems that write a serious amount of data.  It's certainly true that a
> BCC controller greatly reduces the need for a separate spindle.
I haven't seen any benchmarks on the list or in our environment
where the separate spindles gave more than a 1% increase in
performance when using a good-quality BBC controller.  Do you have
results that show more of a difference?  Can you share them?
-Kevin

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: postgresql in FreeBSD jails: proposal
От: "Heikki Linnakangas"
Сообщение: Re: Some ideas about Vacuum