Re: trigger run of archive_command?

От Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Тема Re: trigger run of archive_command?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:39:34 +0100 Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

> Thomas Karcher <thkarcher@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > > this one is still open when I run pg_stop_backup(), so I want to trigger
> > > the archive_command to be sure that I don't miss anything.
> >
> > I guess what you want is pg_switch_xlog() (see
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/functions-admin.html)
> this is exactly what I am looking for
> > which became available with PG 8.2 ...
> unfortunately right now I am stuck to PG 8.1.4.
> I hope I can manage to upgrade without too much hassle, it seems meanwhile I
> have to use my workaround.

a very rude hack is to produce enough changes so that PG will rotate
the logfile anyway:

CHECKPOINT;
CREATE TABLE xlog_switch AS SELECT
'0123456789ABCDE'::VARCHAR FROM generate_series(1,300000);
DROP TABLE xlog_switch;

This is a lot of overhead, but it does the job.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group