Re: how to get a number of seconds in some interval ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: how to get a number of seconds in some interval ?
Дата
Re: how to get a number of seconds in some interval ?  (Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
> Στις Monday 12 May 2008 17:32:39 ο/η Julius Tuskenis έγραψε:
>> do you know why division of intervals was not implemented? As I see it -
>> there should be an easy way to do so. '1 hour 30 minutes' / '1 hour' =
>> 1.5 .... Seems straight forward...
>>
> No idea why. However as you pose it,it makes sense.

No, it doesn't really, because intervals contain multiple components.
What would you define as the result of
    '1 month 1 hour' / '1 day'
bearing in mind that the number of days per month is not fixed, and
neither is the number of hours per day?

You can derive a number if you're willing to make arbitrary assumptions
about the relationships of the different units (as indeed extract(epoch)
does), but hard-wiring such assumptions into a basic arithmetic operator
doesn't seem like a good idea to me.