Re: Remove readline notice from psql --version?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Remove readline notice from psql --version?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of dom may 20 23:04:59 -0400 2012:
>> And, more to the point, would it be more reliable than checking the
>> results of system-specific tools such as ldd?

> If well implemented, my guess is that it would be.  For example recall
> that in Debian they are shipping psql linked to libedit due to licensing
> concerns, but then suggest a hack to use LD_PRELOAD to load libreadline
> instead.  So ldd might tell you that it's linked to libedit and fail to
> notice that at runtime something different is being used.

[ raised eyebrow ... ]  Yeah, but exactly what would it take to produce
an output that told the truth in such a situation?  I'll bet a large
amount of money that you would need a separate implementation for every
platform.  And this problem just is not worth that.