Re: Enhancement request

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Enhancement request
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Joshua D. Drake escribió:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:34:02 -0300
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>
> > Joshua D. Drake escribió:
> >
> > > The multi-worker autovacuum is a great new addition to help part of
> > > that problem (starvation) but it is not help against the other
> > > (resource consumption, specifically IO).
> >
> > Huh, autovac will consume exactly the same amount of I/O as a
> > user-induced vacuum, so I don't see your point.
>
> It can be determined "when" the I/O is used.

Future plans call for being able to change autovac parameters depending
on time of day, so you will be able to decide that using autovacuum too.

> > Remember, we're not adding VACUUM SCHEMA in 8.2 so it doesn't make any
> > sense to try to compare it against the old autovac.  And you can bet
> > that in 8.4 autovac will have even more goodies.
>
> I assume you mean 8.3, but that is certainly a valid point.

No, I meant 8.4 --- the feature set of 8.3 is already set on stone.  So
VACUUM SCHEMA has to compete with whatever we're able to do for the
release following that one.

--
Alvaro Herrera                        http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"Entristecido, Wutra                     (canción de Las Barreras)