Re: autovacuum: recommended?

От Tobias Brox
Тема Re: autovacuum: recommended?
Дата
Re: autovacuum: recommended?
Список pgsql-performance
[Gábor Farkas - Fri at 10:40:43AM +0100]
> my question is: is it recommended to use it? or in other words, should i
> only use autovacuum? or it's better to use manual-vacuuming? which one
> is the "way of the future" :) ? or should i use both auto-vacuum and
> manual-vacuum?

Nightly vacuums are great if the activity on the database is very low
night time.  A combination is also good, the autovacuum will benefit
from the nightly vacuum.  My gut feeling says it's a good idea to leave
autovacuum on, regardless of whether the nightly vacuums have been
turned on or not.

That being said, we have some huge tables in our database and pretty
much traffic, and got quite some performance problems when the
autovacuum kicked in and started vacuuming those huge tables, so we're
currently running without.  Autovacuum can be tuned to not touch those
tables, but we've chosen to leave it off.