Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?

От Leif B. Kristensen
Тема Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Monday 5. November 2007, Robert Bernier wrote:

>Just a question; but does everybody think that a postgres killer app
> has to be a front-end client?

I have successfully developed a personal genealogy database with
Postgres in combination with PHP. In its current form, it's hardly more
than a prototype, and it would take an awful lot of work to make it
into a seamless interface for a non-technical user. But I really love
it.

In general, I think the world is rapidly heading towards online storage
solutions for this kind of database stuff, and it may well be the Next
Big Thing[TM] in database applications. The mainstream genealogy
programs still use a Nineties model, where the data is stored on the
user's HDD, typically in a dinky flat-file system. I think that is
scary. The world needs quality storage systems for this kind of data,
and Postgres absolutely has a niche to fill here.

You can read some of my thoughts on the topic in this article:

http://solumslekt.org/forays/exodus.php
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE
My Jazz Jukebox: http://www.last.fm/user/leifbk/