Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 11:04:34AM +0300, Marko Kreen wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> > > The main problem with using Git on a much larger scale is that there's
> > > still limited ability to use it on Win32.  Google is working on that:
> > > http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/ but it's not quite there yet; there's
> > > also a partial MinGW port.
> >
> > IIRC the official word from the git people is that they don't care about windows. As long as they say that, I
considerthat a dealbreaker.

> > And from a quick look that google project is still just for msys, which is a dependency that we've rid ourselves
of.

> > If we're going to switch scm, we should switch to one that's supported on our platforms...
>
> Well, that _was_ the official word from core git devs, in the sense
> that they wonr put any effort to windows support and any support
> should not obfuscate core code.  But there were other devs who
> decided to work on it and the windows support is humming along well:
>
>  http://marc.info/?l=git&m=119283639121273&w=2
>
> Note that msys is needed for _building_ git not using it.

Ah. Like I said, only gave it a quick look :-) As long as it works without
msys, I'm fine with that. Once they reach non-alpha state, of course. (I'm
not going to comment on the relative merits of the different scms - as long
as it works, and it not unsupported in a way that it can suddenly break and
not be quickly fixed...)

//Magnus