Re: default_text_search_config

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: default_text_search_config
Дата
Re: default_text_search_config  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> > For me the idea that a text-search configuration maps to a
> > locale/language seems to be totally wrong. IMO an encoding/charset
> > could include several languages and a text-search configuration should
> > be mapped to an encoding/charset, rather than a language.
>
> I think mapping by encoding/charset *is* totally wrong and by locale is
> reasonable. How do you treat LATIN1? It can be used in French and German,
> etc. Moreover, UTF-8 can be used in almost all languages.
>
> The tight mapping of EUC_jp <=> Japanese is a special case in the world.

What? I didn't say that an encoding/charset is mapped to single
language. Actually EUC_JP includes Japanese, English(ascii), Greek,
Cyrillic and so on. So for the full text search being able to process
EUC_JP text properly, it should be able to process multiple languages
at a time.

You know that PostgreSQL allows only one locale for a PostgreSQL
cluster, and the fact that text-search being depending on locale
prevent it from processing multi language text.

The only solution I can think of today is creating new parser which
can process EUC_JP properly (I mean it can process not only Japanese
but also English) and use it on C locale/EUC_JP cluster. I would do
this for 8.4 if I have time.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Сообщение: Re: default_text_search_config
Сообщение: Re: default_text_search_config