Re: Time Zone design issues

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Time Zone design issues
Дата
Re: Time Zone design issues  (Troy Rasiah <troyr@vicnet.net.au>)
Список pgsql-general
novnov escribió:

> I think I get the picture; this post is the closest to making sense to me (my
> lack of understanding is the issue, obviously). But:
>
> What's the postgresql client, in a web app?
>
> When you write "The web app sets timezone='EST5EDT' and inserts a time of
> '2007-07-11 12:30:00'." that's the black box that I'm asking about. There is
> no web app other than the one I am writing. So, I think it means I need to
> write code in my web app to handle the conversion of the postgres stored UTC
> into user-relevant time, with their local time zone etc.

You are misunderstanding the "sets timezone=".  What it means is that
you call the following SQL command:
SET timezone TO 'EST5EDT';
early in your webapp code.  The value to use, you get from the user
profile (stored in a table perhaps).

> If that's so, what I'm asking about is one the webapp side and perhaps
> people here are not so used to dealing with that. I don't know. Just
> like one of the other (much appreciated) responders in this thread
> suggested, the user's browser is likely offering the user's tz
> info...but I am interested in seeing someone's mature system for
> returning the user's local time based their tz as stored in their
> profile.

I wouldn't trust the browser's TZ, and you would need a way to override
it.  So storing it in a table seems the easiest way.