Re: Time Zone design issues

От novnov
Тема Re: Time Zone design issues
Дата
Re: Time Zone design issues  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I think I get the picture; this post is the closest to making sense to me (my
lack of understanding is the issue, obviously). But:

What's the postgresql client, in a web app?

When you write "The web app sets timezone='EST5EDT' and inserts a time of
'2007-07-11 12:30:00'." that's the black box that I'm asking about. There is
no web app other than the one I am writing. So, I think it means I need to
write code in my web app to handle the conversion of the postgres stored UTC
into user-relevant time, with their local time zone etc. If that's so, what
I'm asking about is one the webapp side and perhaps people here are not so
used to dealing with that. I don't know. Just like one of the other (much
appreciated) responders in this thread suggested, the user's browser is
likely offering the user's tz info...but I am interested in seeing someone's
mature system for returning the user's local time based their tz as stored
in their profile.

But since no one has agreed with my positing of that approach so far I'm not
sure. I'll see what I can figure out with a bit of testing etc.

Thanks everyone.