Re: pitr replica dies on startup

От Decibel!
Тема Re: pitr replica dies on startup
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 09:56:50PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff Frost <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com> writes:
> > That all seems reasonable enough.  Is it in the docs somewhere?  I
> > didn't find anything like this mentioned.  If not, could we get it
> > added as a note?
>
> Yeah, it hadn't occurred to anyone to specify this, because we just
> thought of recovery_command as fetching from a static archive.
> We clearly need to document the expected semantics better.
>
> I'm wondering whether we should discourage people from putting
> side-effects into the recovery_command, period.  You already found out
> that recovery can ask for the same file more than once, but what if it
> never asks for a particular file at all?  I'm not sure that can happen,
> just playing devil's advocate.

I'd rather go the route of documenting the details of how
(archive|recovery)_command is used; one of the huge benefits of our
system over others is the flexibility you have in being able to run
whatever command you want.

I know Simon was working on some improvements to the PITR docs, but I
don't know if that's been committed or not yet.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Вложения