Re: Yet Another Socket .s.PGSQL.5432 Problem

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Yet Another Socket .s.PGSQL.5432 Problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Am Donnerstag, 16. August 2007 23:41 schrieb Hilton Perantunes:
> Alvaro, it works like a charm =). Thank you all.
>
> Bad, bad Debian.. no cookies for you (and I'll read the error messages more
> carefully next time)!

The problem is quite likely some variant on the following:  You had your
distribution-supplied PostgreSQL packages installed, which
use /var/run/postgresql as the socket location.  Then you built your own
pieces of PostgreSQL, which use /tmp.  When you call just "psql"
or "pgadmin3", they will use the system-supplied libpq, which uses the
system-specific socket location, since they don't know about your
hand-crafted installation.  If you had called the psql binary from your own
installation with an explicit path (and your used the rpath feature during
compilation), then this would have worked.  Or you could have used the
environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the libpq of your choice.
There are a few ways to get this wrong.  On Debian the socket location is
usually the first indicator, but you ought to be careful in general if you
mix installations like that.

--
Peter Eisentraut