Re: Synchronous Commit Doc Patch

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Synchronous Commit Doc Patch
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 07:11:54PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 12:38 -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > One question... can operations that shortcut the WAL by fsyncing direct
> > to disk also use async commit? I suspect the answer is an implicit "no"
> > because the only examples I can think of all involve DDL, but it's
> > probably worth spelling that out...
>
> They can, but the WAL-avoiding ops are all designed for bulk ops, so
> you'll get something like 0.0001% benefit by using async commit for
> them.

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't help much, I just wasn't clear on what the
effect would be. I guess I'm also a bit confused... the only shortcut I
know of (COPY into a table created in the same transaction) involves
creating files, so it would be ineligible for async commit, or are there
other shortcuts? Do we list the shortcuts anywhere in the docs?

> Thanks for reading.

Thanks for writing. :)
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org