Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent
Дата
Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent  ("Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Am Montag, 18. Juni 2007 19:03 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Standard according to whom?

ISO 31 a.k.a. SI

> In time-related contexts (eg ISO 8601) I'd expect just "h" "m" and "s".

ISO 8601 appears to use a slightly different syntax for writing timespans.  I
would not object if anyone added support for that.

> Since there's no likelihood that anyone would think autovacuum_naptime
> is measured in meters, I think insisting that it must not be written as
> "1m" is just pedantry.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would initially be confused why anyone would
write time in meters, let alone those that might associate it with memory
units.  In my subjective view (and I acknowledge that we have all been
educated in different ways), writing "1m" for a time quantity is meaningless
and an error.

Standards exist for these things, and we have a fine tradition for choosing
standards in favor of randomness.

--
Peter Eisentraut