Re: Best Practice for running vacuums during off hours WAS Re: Autovacuum launcher doesn't notice death of postmaster immediately

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Best Practice for running vacuums during off hours WAS Re: Autovacuum launcher doesn't notice death of postmaster immediately
Дата
Ответ на Best Practice for running vacuums during off hours WAS Re: Autovacuum launcher doesn't notice death of postmaster immediately  ("Andrew Hammond" <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Hammond escribió:

> That's a good question. I can't see any reason for a naptime longer
> than 60 seconds either.
>
> I think very large naptime settings are a symptom of another issue:
> what's the Right Way to defer vacuums until "off hours"? Is that even
> a desirable thing anymore? I don't think it is in the majority of
> cases.
>
> I originally thought that this was more of a Best Practices issue (ie,
> fix in the docs, not the code), but now I'm wondering if there's much
> call for supporting the idea of being more aggressive with vacuums at
> different times of the day / week / month. Anyone?

That's why the intention is to have the autovacuum scheduling feature
be a mechanism for changing the autovac parameters according to date and
time.  We even have a Google Summer of Code project about that.

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"La virtud es el justo medio entre dos defectos" (Aristóteles)