Re: the right time to vacuum database?

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: the right time to vacuum database?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 05:28:10PM -0700, Charles.Hou wrote:
> Client connected: about 100 pc, 1 pc with 1 connection at least, the
> max is 4 connections

So up to 400 connections?  Are they all running transactions?  For
any length of time?

> 194 tables on the database, and some of the tables  always executed
> the update/insert command .

So _some_ tables are getting updated?  (Inserts are not really
relevant to vacuuming here, but they'll surely be relevant to size)

> i also set the autovacuum to enable. today, the database size is
> 497MB. 497-440MB=57MB, 57 MB have been increased in 18  hours.
> what's wrong with my PostgreSql Server?

Maybe nothing.  How much data do you think you're putting in there?
What does VACUUM VERBOSE say, as I asked about -- are you getting a
lot of dead space?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
        --George Orwell