Re: What happens on a commit?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: What happens on a commit?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Chris Hoover escribió:
> Ok, we are looking more into this.  In the mean time, can someone please
> explain to me (or point me to the correct documentation) what happens in
> PostgreSQL when a commit is issued.  What exactly does the database do?

It writes a commit WAL record and flushes (fsync) the WAL up to that
point.  This is the more important bit.  Also, async notifies are sent
(those you started with NOTIFY), and files corresponding to some
commands are deleted (e.g. TRUNCATE, CLUSTER, REINDEX).  Temp tables
with ON COMMIT setting may be operated upon.

It entirely depends on what the transaction did.