Re: How overcome wait for vacuum full?

От Nick Urbanik
Тема Re: How overcome wait for vacuum full?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thank you Alvaro,

On 15/05/07 18:53 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>Instead of waiting a month for the time when you can take the
>application offline (thus accumulating a month's worth of dead tuples),
>run a non-full vacuum more often (say, once a day or more).  It doesn't
>lock the table so the app can continue to be online while it runs.

Yes, it is vacuumed non-full regularly.  However, for some reason,
only a full vacuum will recover the space.

>If you have too many dead tuples and are desperate to get the table in a
>reasonable non-bloated state, try CLUSTER instead of VACUUM FULL.  It
>might finish faster.

1. If I am running vacuum full on the database as:

vacuum full verbose;

   without specifying a table, if I interrupt it, will the vacuuming of
   the other tables that have already been vacuumed be undone?  How
   far is vacuuming rolled back if I interrupt it in this case?

2. If I interrupt the vacuum, and run cluster,  how long do you think
   cluster might take relative to a full vaccuum?  Is it likely to
   save disk space? (since that is the aim rather than speeding things
   up)

   The value of reltuples and relpages for this table are: reltuples:
   572208, relpages 187502

3. This is PostgreSQL 7.3.8.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku@nicku.org