Re: Not ready for 8.3

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Not ready for 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > That is not fair to patch submitters, and pushes the problem to 8.4,
> > where it will be no better.
>
> If it isn't done, it isn't done. We aren't dropping the patch. The patch
> has been accepted, just not reviewed. It is just delayed.

Delayed isn't rejected, but it isn't accepted either.  I see that as
unfair to patch submitters, and not making things any easier.  It just
pushes our problem into 8.4.

> >> Sure it is, if we have a short release cycle. There are plenty of things
> >> out there that are not quite ready yet, that could be if we released
> >> again next January...
> >
> > Huh, you didn't answer my issue about unfair.
>
> Sure I did see above :). Unfair would be to let go all together. We are
> just delaying. If we don't have reviewers, we don't have reviewers and
> as I look at the open list we have more reviewers than we did for 8.2 so
> I would suspect that 8.4 is going to go smoother as it is.

And even more patches for 8.4.

Given your list below, let me match it up with Tom's comments and see if
I can defer some patches that are not ready for application.  I think
bitmapped indexes are one of them.

> >> Leaving only those patches that have confirmed reviewers to be worked
> >> through.
> >>
> >> FYI, whoever did that Todo:Patch status, Bravo! That is easily one of
> >> the smallest but best improvements to the process I have seen in recent
> >> memory.
> >
> > Fairness and not pushing our problems out to the future --- address
> > those issues.
>
> Life isn't fair. It isn't like we are telling these people to bugger
> off. We are just delaying the review to what is a reasonable workload
> for the current set of reviewers.

Again, it just pushed things off.  I see just keeping going as a better
approach.

> Life... is a perpetual problem. We do what we can, when we can, and the
> best that we can.

Yea, but we have to do that best we can, not give up and hope something
improves for 8.4, because I see no basis for such a belief.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com