Re: Managing the community information stream

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Managing the community information stream
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >Also, if I want to discuss renaming something or cleaning up some code,
> >do we create a tracker item for that or do we have a developer email
> >list to discuss such issues?
>
> In the most conformist sense yes, but I can tell you that generally
> isn't how CMD does it. How we general do it, is to create a ticket basic
> on a topic, that ticket cc's a mailing list and discussion happens in
> reply to that cc. So the workflow doesn't actually change. Once
> everything is decided we may update the ticket with the final solution,
> and then when the work is done we close the ticket.
>
> However, we do it the way we do, because we don't have email
> integration. Supposedly (which a small group is currently reviewing) BZ
> 3.0 does have email integration so this may change a bit.

Well, with email integration (as I am envisioning -- I don't know what
BZ actually implements) it is even better, because you just create a
ticket, and that sends an email to the list.  Other people can respond
to that email, which gets saved into the bug without need for further
action.

In Debian's bug tracking system, when the bug is created (which is done
by sending an email to a certain address) it gets a number, and the
email is distributed to certain lists.  People can then reply to that
mail, and send messages to 12345@bugs.debian.org and it gets tracked in
the bug, and you can see all those messages in the bug report.  I
ass-ume that BZ 3.0 does something similar.