Re: Feature freeze progress report

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Feature freeze progress report
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >So in a roundabout way we come back
> >to the idea that we need a bug tracker (NOT a patch tracker), plus
> >people putting in the effort to make sure it stays a valid source
> >of up-to-date info.  Without the latter it won't really be useful.
>
> Hallelujah Brother!

Amen

> BTW, a bug tracker can be used as a patch tracker, although the reverse
> isn't true. For example, the BZ people use BZ that way, in fact - most
> patches arrive as attachments to bugs. And trackers can be used just as
> well for tracking features as well as bugs.

The pidgin (previously known as Gaim) guys also use it that way.  They
add a bug for each thing they want to change, even new features, and
track the patches in there.  Then they have a list of issues that should
be solved for each release, so it's easy to see which ones are still
missing using their Trac interface.

http://developer.pidgin.im/roadmap

So the status email that Tom sent yesterday would be a very simple thing
to generate, just looking at the "bugs to fix" page.

I'm not saying we should use Trac, mainly because I hate how it
(doesn't) interact with email.  But it does say that a bug tracker can
be useful to us.