Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Florian G. Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> [070430 08:58]:
> It seems as if git pulls all revisions of all files during the pull -
> which it shouldn't do as far as I understand things - it should only
> pull those objects referenced by some head, no?

Git pulls full history to a common ancestor on the clone/pull.   So the
first pull on a repo *will* necessarily pull in the full object history.
So unless you have a recent common ancestor, it will pull lots.  Note
that because git uses crypto hashes to identify objects, my conversion
and Martin's probably do not have a recent common ancestor (because my
header munging probably doesn't match Martin's exactly).

> The interesting thing is that exactly the same problem occurs with
> both if your mirrors...
>
> Any ideas? Or is this just how things are supposed to work?

Until you have a local repository of it, you'll need to go through the
full pull/clone.  If you're really not interested in history you can
"truncate" history with the --depth option to git clone.  That will give
you a "shallow repository", which you can use, develop, branch, etc in,
but won't give you all the history locally.

Also - what version of GIT are you using?  I *really* recommend using at
least 1.5 (1.5.2.X is current stable).  Please, do your self a favour,
and don't use 1.4.4.

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,

Сообщение: Re: Feature freeze progress report
Сообщение: Re: Feature freeze progress report