Re: Auto Partitioning

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Auto Partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 09:34:03PM +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >If we don't have multi-table indexes how do we enforce a primary key
> >against a partitioned set?
>
> The executor would have to be clever enough to not do a single index
> scan, but possibly scan through multiple indexes when asking for
> uniqueness, depending on the partitioning rule set.

But it's not the executor that checks uniqueness, it's built into the
btre code.

If someone manages to crack uniqueness for GiST indexes, we'll have our
answer, since it has exactly the same problem but on a different scale.
(Or vice-versa, if some gets uniqueness for multiple indexes, we can do
it for GiST also).

Have a nice day,