Re: SCSI vs SATA

От Andreas Kostyrka
Тема Re: SCSI vs SATA
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
* Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> [070404 17:40]:

> >Good point. On another note, I am wondering why nobody's brought up the command-queuing perf benefits (yet). Is this
becausesata vs scsi are at

> SATAII has similar features.
>
> >par here? I'm finding conflicting information on this -- some calling sata's ncq mostly crap, others stating the
real-worldresults are negligible. I'm inclined to believe SCSI's
> >pretty far ahead here but am having trouble finding recent articles on this.
>
> What I find is, a bunch of geeks sit in a room and squabble about a few percentages one way or the other. One side
feelsvery l33t because their white paper looks like the latest
> swimsuit edition.
>
> Real world specs and real world performance shows that SATAII performs, very, very well. It is kind of like X86. No
chipengineer that I know has ever said, X86 is elegant but guess
> which chip design is conquering all others in the general and enterprise marketplace?

Actually, to second that, we did have very similiar servers with
SCSI/SATA drives, and I did not notice any relevant measurable
difference. OTOH, the SCSI discs were way less reliable than the SATA
discs, that might have been bad luck.

Andreas