Re: Email issues unanswered

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Email issues unanswered
Дата
Re: Email issues unanswered  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
Список pgsql-www
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Monday, January 29, 2007 18:11:38 -0500 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> wrote:
>
> > My long subject email going out looks like:
> >
> >     From bruce Fri Jan 26 21:00:37 2007
> >     Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL
> >             branches
>
> Looks like something has add a carriage return at the end of PostgreSQL, which
> breaks the RFC ... if it was all one line (as per the RFC quote that Andrew

Yes, my emaler does that, but see below on the RFC issue.

> sent), it wouldn't have gone through (as per the valid long Subject that I just
> sent to you) ...
>
> You are talking about 'multi line' (against RFCs) vs 'long subjects that wrap'
> (not against RFCs) ...

Right, I am talking about multi-line, and here is the RFC part Andrew
mentioned:
 2.2.3. Long Header Fields
  Each header field is logically a single line of characters comprising  the field name, the colon, and the field body.
For convenience  however, and to deal with the 998/78 character limitations per line,  the field body portion of a
headerfield can be split into a multiple  line representation; this is called "folding".  The general rule is

  that wherever this standard allows for folding white space (not  simply WSP characters), a CRLF may be inserted
beforeany WSP.  For  example, the header field: