Re: PostgreSQL data loss

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: PostgreSQL data loss
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Hi everyone,
>   I have a problem with one of my costomers.
> I made a program that uses a PostgreSQL (win32) database to save its data.
> My customer claims that he lost lots of data reguarding his own clients
> and that those data had surely been saved on the database.
> My first guess is that he is the one who deleted the data but wants to
> blame someone else, obviously I can't prove it.

No, you can't.  You're contract should contain language regarding you
not being responsible for data loss, to protect you from jerks like this.

> Could it be possible for PostgreSQL to lose its data? Maybe with a file
> corruption? Could it be possible to restore these data?

It's possible for any program to lose data, if the hardware fails, if the
user tries to edit files that they shouldn't.  If the user has admin
access to the PostgreSQL box, they can cause data loss.

> My program does not modify or delete data since its more like a log that
> only adds information. It is obviously possible to delete these logs but
> it requires to answer "yes" to 2 different warnings, so the data can't
> be deleted accidentally.

I've actually seen people accidentally hit "yes" twice when they didn't
want to.  Tell him to lay off the coffee.

> I have other customers with even 10 times the amount of data of the one
> who claimed the loss but no problems with them.
> He obviously made no backups (and claims we never told him to do them
> so we are responsible even for this) though the program has a dedicated
> Backup-section.
>
> Any suggestion?

Yes.  Call your lawyer first and see what the laws in your area say
regarding this.  Then talk to your lawyer about making sure your
boilerplate contract covers this kind of thing and protects you from
future incidents.  Take your lawyers advice on how to handle it.

In any event, refuse to ever do any business with him again.  In my
experience, these kinds of customers aren't worth the pennies they pay
you.  Also, refuse to give in.  If you give him anything for free, he'll
never leave you alone.  I have personal experience with these types.

I am not a lawyer ... I just play one on the Internet.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.